Is it still necessary to present the Kindle, the e-reader Amazon created in 2007? Thanks to it, you will be able to read e-books, pdf or magazines. It has not stopped evolving since then and 2021 sees the arrival of 11th generation, thinner, bigger, more powerful!
La Kindle Paperwhite always relies on technology e-Ink for a contrasting screen and its adaptive brightness, a screen of 6,8 '', variable screen heat, wireless charging or an internal memory of 32 GB! For 189,99 € excluding promotion in its “Signature Edition” version, should we crack?
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2021: A Signature Edition
Amazon remains faithful to its color codes and blue is in the spotlight for the Kindle range. By the way, did you know that in English, “To Kindle” means to light? This 2021 version comes in a 24,5 x 13 x 1,8 cm glossy print packaging. 100% recyclable, this case contains no plastic and all the accessories (Kindle and cables) are wedged in cardboard inserts. The main characteristics are highlighted on the front and back, but everything is really very sober, except for the visual of the reading light.
You will therefore find the Kindle Paperwhite 2021 and its charging cable, but without an AC adapter. It will therefore be necessary to choose it well because we are on 9W. The rechargeable battery is integrated into the e-reader and not removable.
"The finishes are excellent ..."
The e-reader as such does 12,5 x 17,4 x 0,81 cm For about 200 grams. It is therefore relatively thin and, with its thin edges, offers a screen of 6,8 inches' (17,3 cm) at 300 dpi (pixels per inch).
Kindle Paperwhite 2021 embeds technology e-Ink Carta allowing. Also called e-paper or electronic paper, this process imitates paper and does not require energy to display an image. Hence the significant autonomy displayed by these e-readers. In addition, the e-paper reflects ambient light like a real leaf and allows a rendering very close to a physical page, with so much contrast. The only consumption of this type of device will therefore be Wi-Fi, backlighting or even page changes.
The finishes are excellent as Amazon got us used to it. Nothing to say on the screen, anti-reflective coating and of a size more or less identical to that of a paperback book. Indeed, the part with display is 14 x 10,5 cm whereas a book is 11 x 18 cm (but the printed area is 14,5 x 9 cm). The materials are very good bill and the black plastic is very soft to the touch. Without being slippery. Nice little touch: a smile Amazon on the back.
For use there is a single button, on the lower edge, used to turn the Kindle on and off as well as to wake it up. There is also, next to it, the USB-C port for fast charging. In fact, to charge it, you can use the supplied cable and an adapter of your choice or else a compatible induction charger in 10W. It takes 2h30 for a full charge per sector and 3h wireless. It is also possible to refuel on a PC in 5 hours. Once charged, the e-reader will give you up to 10 weeks of reading : 30 min per day, without internet access and light at 13. It's still not bad at all!
In the end, it is a very nice product, an e-reader that is well handled thanks to its size, light, pleasant to hold and to read. Let's take a closer look at its features.
- Dimensions : 12,5 17,4 x x 0,81 cm
- Weight : 200 grams
- Screen size : 6,8 in, or 17,23 cm.
- Screen technology : e-Ink, 300 dpi. Adaptive brightness and heat management to avoid blue light
- Memo : 32 GB of RAM for the Signature edition. 8 GB for the standard edition. 32 GB will allow you to store thousands of books, magazines and pdf. The 8 GB are not left out and you will reach several hundred or even a thousand. Please note, contrary to what is sometimes noted, it is not possible to read audio books on the French version of Kindle. This requires an application that is not installed and Bluetooth management not available.
- Connectivity : 2,4 GHz Wi-Fi.
- Charge : mains in USB-C or wireless.
- Supported formats : Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, native PRC; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, PMP converted. The Kindle therefore makes it possible to display books, images but also internet pages. It does indeed have an associated web browser.
- Other : IPX8, it can stay 60 min at 2 m deep in a swimming pool or 3 min at 25 cm in sea water. It is also Climate Pledge Friendly. That is to say that 60% of the plastics used in the manufacture of this device come from post-consumer recycled plastics (therefore having already been used) and 95% of the packaging is based on wood fiber from managed forests responsibly or through recycling channels.
This new version is quite interesting on several aspects, some of which are new:
- Its 6,8 '' screen allowing easy reading.
- The 32 GB memory allowing consequent storage. The 8 GB version is also very interesting and is sold between 124,99 and 114,99 € if you accept ads. Note that the Signature Edition is only available without advertising.
- La adaptive brightness is always good for reading at night, you are reminded that e-Ink screens use mood light, so reading in the dark without a backlight is impossible, like a real book). But above all, having a adaptive and adjustable hot heat is excellent for reading at night and avoiding getting excited in blue light. Useful if you read in bed at night or before going to bed.
- Shipping is record autonomy is also a big strong point to not run out of juice while reading. This is largely due to e-paper technology as we saw earlier. That's about twice as much as the old version.
- Water resistance IPX8 has been designed for those reading by the pool or in the bath. To a lesser extent for those who spend time in the toilet.
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2021: setup and use
There is no installation but a configuration for this Kindle. Once on, choose the language, the "Kindle" configuration in order to do it locally then select and connect to your Wi-Fi network. To finalize the setting, you must then register your Kindle with your account Amazon. This will also make it possible to directly receive the books purchased online on your eReader. An update will surely be necessary.
Once done, you will be able to enjoy your Kindle and read all your soul. For those new to the Kindle ecosystem, here's how it works. The e-reader will allow you to read books and magazines that you have previously downloaded offline.. There are several ways to acquire these readings:
- Direct purchase on the site Amazon. In this case, your purchase is directly downloaded to your Kindle and you will be able to enjoy it in a few seconds.
- Purchase on another site. In this case, you will have to spend via PC software to transfer your purchases to your Kindle. The best known is Caliber (www.calibre-ebook.com). The latter will also allow you to transform unsupported native formats like EPUBs to Kindle format.
- Free books via Amazon Reading. It is a service included in the subscription Amazon Premium. You will have access to a book loan system from among a few hundred publications (books, Manga, comics, etc.) available. You can borrow several at the same time but you will have to "return" them to read more.
- Kindle subscription. For € 9,99 per month, you will have access to over a million publications to read unlimited, as long as you pay the subscription. The books are fairly recent but there are not the very latest novelties.
The books and magazines available in this way will be displayed on the home page of your Kindle Paperwhite 2021. You also have access to your library via a direct tab at the bottom right. To acquire other books, all you have to do is click on the small shopping cart in the top bar. From there, you can access the site Amazon and at different entrance doors: Amazon Reading, Kindle subscription, direct purchase ...
Regarding the settings of the Kindle, it remains quite easy to use, and practical. To access it, slide the screen down, placing your finger on the top of it.
- Your Account : come and define the name of your Kindle, deregister the device, manage your personal data ...
- Wireless : manage Wi-Fi or activate airplane mode
- Device option : a little more extensive, this section will allow you to manage the display of the covers, the display temperature (also available more simply), define a secret code to prevent third parties from reading your collection in San Antonio… You can also manage storage there. It is important to note that Kindles do not have a Micro SD card slot.
- Reading options : interactive vocabulary and page updating.
- Language and dictionaries : choice of language, type of keyboard, dictionaries (French but also English with the Oxford dictionary) ... When you read books in English, your Kindle will offer you explanations of English texts or, in French, words a little less complex to understand. Well seen.
- Reduced mobility : oral reading of the content. Incompatible with French.
- Parental control
- Miscellaneous help.
In use, the e-reader Amazon is really fun to use. The HD e-Ink display is really nice to read. The contrast is excellent and the reading rendering is very close to that of a physical book. It's very pleasant… and much less heavy and big.
“The e-paper reflects the ambient light like a real sheet and allows a rendering very close to a physical page. "
Open your book, tap the right of the screen to go to the next page and the left to return to the previous page. By pressing on the upper part, you will be able to access parameters allowing you to return to the reception. The rendering of the images is also excellent. Of course, the result is better with black and white images originally. Moreover, the Kindle Paperwhite 2021 is perfectly suited to reading Mangas, Comics or comics. Double click on an image and, as with basic pages, press right or left to read your picture. This also works for images in books featuring. To zoom in on an image, pull the image apart with your fingers. And the reverse to zoom out.
It is possible to choose a automatic brightness management the screen via its backlighting, but also set it to manual. The result of the autonomic mode is quite well seen but it tends to light a little too much (for our taste). Of course, the brighter the brightness, the less the battery will last. The real plus is adaptive warmth of whites for reading in the dark. You will be able to go from a white light to yellow / orange. The setting remains a personal choice but does not call into question the interest of this option. It is also entirely possible to choose from what time this automatic tempering will start. Really well seen.
We quickly touched on the fact that the Kindle allows support for html and therefore web pages. There is indeed a built-in browser. However, we will not dwell on the subject because it is bad and unusable. It draws more on the schoolboy joke than the functional application. Only the site ofAmazon, and in particular the link to the books, is usable. So we confirm that we are in the presence of an e-reader and not of a tablet. Either way, there is no possibility to install apps. Also note a responsiveness at half mast whether in navigation (or what looks like it), but also in the settings. Even if this has no effect on the reading, it is felt in the ancillary management. This is a recurring problem with Kindle that the little RAM explains and which does not seem to be taken into account by Amazon.
“We will not dwell on the subject because it is so bad and unusable. "
If you already have an older Kindle, you know these are products that are made to last. We have one of the 6th version (2013) still fully functional. It is an investment of several years, both in terms of lifespan, validity of updates, and compatibility of books purchased and purchased. Few manufacturers and suppliers offer this, and it is something important to consider.