The world of indoor cameras is fairly homogeneous, most models now relying on Wi-Fi connections. The big difference then lies in the aesthetics, the wired or wireless power supply, the functionalities offered by the application or storage means. These are all aspects that we will study and scrutinize in this SpotCam Eva 2 indoor camera test, a small camera connected to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi.
SpotCam is a Taiwanese company based in Taipei and founded in 2013 by two young boys who are passionate about cameras and storage. Their leitmotiv is to share their knowledge with as many people as possible in a field that is constantly evolving technically and to offer a solution adapted to each individual. We had already presented their products to you with, in particular, the SpotCam Video Doorbell Pro, a rather efficient connected video doorbell. Let's see if the brand continues to master its subject ...
SpotCam Eva 2: the little ball camera that you can watch
La SpotCam Eva 2 camera is presented in a classic cardboard packaging. On the front we find a photo of the camera with its main characteristics and in particular its interesting option of lifetime free cloud storage. In the lower part, compatibility with voice assistants, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, as well as with platforms IFTT and Conrad Connect, are well put forward.
On the back, the brand shows the main characteristics of its Wi-Fi camera, such as video, alert, audio with a description… All in English. On one side, there is nevertheless a bit of French, this time with a summary of the camera functions: Wi-Fi, high definition video, two-way audio and night vision.
But let's discover this little ball which reminds us of the camera TP-Link Tapo C200 that we recently tested.
When you open the box from the top, a molded expanded foam protection appears first. The camera is underneath and actually trapped between two of these protections. Below, a cardboard box closes the accessories. Quick installation and user guides and a deterrent sticker in a plastic bag.
SpotCam Eva 2: camera overview
In the front
It is a small ball placed on a base capable of operating 360 ° rotations ! It measures 7 cm x 7 cm x 11.1 cm tall and weighs 218 g only. A small template that will be easy to place at home. Its hull is white, as are many indoor cameras. On the bass, Spotcam is printed in the same shade of mouse gray as the strapping above which we feel is a joint between the base part, where there is the mark, and the "body" which includes the LED operation indicator. The central part of the "head" is a second ball, also independent, of dark color which accommodates the lens of the camera (protected by a plastic film for transport) above an LED and below the microphone to hear what is happening. this goes around the camera.
If the camera can rotate 360 °, it can just as easily rotate on a 90 ° vertical axis, it is therefore raised up to 60 ° and lowered to 30 °, which earned it the name of pan & tilt camera“, Pan and tilt in French. Raised, we can better distinguish the microphone and themicro-SD card slot.
We find the loud speaker, micro-USB socket type A and the reset button". Note the sticker affixed to the seal for the warranty.
On the coast
The hull is smooth and without technical element. The camera lens does not protrude over the edge of the white outer shell.
In the center, a sticker with the European CE conformity mark and the serial number of the device. A little raised, two large notches to place the mounting bracket if the installation is done on a ceiling for example. On the outer edge a disc all in foam for its stability.
Seen from above, it is a perfect ball.
Let's see the accessories that come with the camera:
- The USB cable: he only does1 meter long, it's not very generous. It may be just for the hookup. You may need a longer cable.
- AC adapter type 5V - 1A.
- The wall mounting bracket with screws and plugs,
- The user guide: multilingual, it is very complete it is underlined because it is indeed the first guide also provided which passes through our hands. The information is given according to the use: web or application. Finally, there is the quick installation guide and a deterrent sticker as a gift.
When the camera switches to night mode, these are 8 infrared LEDs that illuminate the environment so that the camera can always display the flow or detections.
Having gone around the small ball, let's see its technical sheet.
- Brand : Spotcam
- Model : Eva 2
- Size (W x D x H): 7cm x 7cm x 11.1cm
- Weight : 218 grams
- Colour : White and Black
- Materials : Plastic
- Type : Pan / tilt
- Power Input : 100-240V, 50 / 60Hz, 0.3A
- Power Supply Output : 5.0V 1A
- Network : 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi Security : WPA / WPA2
- Vertical rotation : 90 °
- Horizontal rotation : 360 °
- Field of view : diagonal 90 °
- Video compression : H.264
- Zoom : digital x8
- Frame rate : 30 frames per second
- Resolution HQ: Full HD 1080
- LQ resolution :
- Night vision : 8 infrared LEDs
- Infrared vision range : 10 meters
- Audio system : Bidirectional
- Operating temperature : 0 ° - 50 °
- Storage temperature : -10 ° - 50 °
- Cloud storage : uniquely
- Maximum number of cameras supported :
- Visualization of flows : on smartphone, tablet, web browser: Edge, Firefox 3+, Safari 3+, Chrome
- Compatible with voice assistants : Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Compatible with the platform : IFTT and Conrad Connect
SpotCam Eva 2: a multimodal camera camera.
In the quick start guide, it is suggested to do the classic installation on smartphone or tablet in a very classic way but, and this is the first time that we have encountered the proposal, also via a computer. Once is not customary, we choose to install the SpotCam Eva 2 in this way, finding the idea more than nice. A method which, for some, will probably be more comfortable than using a smartphone ...
To begin with, it is necessary go to the web page : https://www.myspotcam.com/fr. Click at the top right on " registration " and enter a name, a password and an email address. Open your box where you will find a link to activate the account and continue.
On the next page, click "Add SpotCam" (or add a SpotCam, if you have the presentation in French) at the top right. An invitation to install a .exe file is displayed. Click on it and if a warning message appears, click on "additional information" then on "Run anyway".
A new page opens for the configuration of the camera. Click on “let's get started”. Choose the model. Here it is of course the SpotCam Eva 2. Confirmation is requested. Now is the time to get down to business.
Plug in the camera. It will take a walk on itself, the LED on the part of the “body” will light up in blue to indicate that it is powered on and then turn to flashing yellow indicating that it is in pairing mode. If ever it gets stuck on the blue LED, press the reset button on the back for about 10 seconds, this should switch it to pairing mode.
On your computer, which must also be connected via Wi-Fi and on the same 2.4 GHz network, click on the notification center. You should see the network of the SpotCam Eva 2. Click on " to log in ", choose your network (it's better than the neighbor's) and enter your password. Click on save and check that the LED is flashing blue. Once all this is done, click on “next” or “next”… That's it! Or almost. You are still asked to give the camera a little name and indicate what time zone you are in. You can now view the feeds on your PC.
It is indeed possible to access the feed either from a web browser or from the mobile application. Let's take a look at the functions and menus from the Smartphone.
Here you have to install the application SpotCam for Android ou iOS, activate the GPS, give the agreement to access the photo and the microphone, then, since the account already exists, log in with your e-mail and password.
Here is an overview of the presentation differences, but rest assured, all features are found on one or the other.
The SpotCam app
You will find on the left the name you assigned to the camera and on the right side
- Le calendar : it is a shortcut to activate or not the programming of deactivation of the camera..
- Le chains : activate or not the alerts.
- Le button : activate or not the camera.
- La toothed wheel. Center of all the settings you can among other things:
- Basic settings :
- Rename the camera
- Activate or not the camera (corresponds to the shortcuts on the home page with the power button)
- Activate or not the blue LED status light on the front of the camera for more discretion. The LED illuminates well and can be annoying if placed in a bedroom.
- HD resolution: It may or may not be enabled. But if you choose to deactivate mode no information indicates in which resolution the stream is transmitted.
- Image quality : 3 possible choices between high, normal or low. Frankly on PC it is necessary to put on High, that avoids the pixelations or blurry images. Yes this is not seen on all backgrounds and colors, it is obvious on the glass part of our door where we go from cloudy to clear but keep a little pixelation by deactivating the HD mode. Suffice to say that in HD disabled mode and low image quality, one has the impression that the glass moves on its own. The choice is offered, that's good, but if you can, don't hesitate to take the HD mode and the High quality. Your eyes will thank you. Public chat smartphone the feeling is less.
- Night vision : 3 possible settings: auto, the simplest, we don't have to manage; On, the image is black and white and the 8 red LEDs on the camera are on or off.
- Flicker reduction : 3 modes: 50Hz, 60Hz or Outdoor.
- Video rotation : If ever you install the camera on a ceiling, this is where you will have to come and select the inversion of the image so that the head does not stay at the foot… or vice versa.
- Alerts :
- You can activate them or not and choose:
- To receive notification and / or of mails and that's good.
- De define the type of alert : movement, sound, disconnection or human tracing but also adjust the sensitivity of movement: high, normal, low or personalized and of sound to be chosen between: high, normal and low. and the duration of the event between 1 and 10 seconds.
- To trigger a Mermaid (at max volume count 65 dB)
- You can also define a schedule so as not to be disturbed by alerts.
- Camera standby : to save bandwidth, it is possible to put the camera to sleep when the alert mode is active. In this mode the blue facial LED goes out. The live stream is no longer available.
- Wake-up alert : When the camera standby is activated, notifications can continue to arrive depending on the choice of detection mode (motion or sound). They are recorded in the event log to be viewed.
- To receive notification and / or of mails and that's good.
- You can activate them or not and choose:
- Programming :
- If you activate the function, you arrive at a page to program the hourly and daily deactivation.
- Microphone : You can and even will have to go through this box to avoid having punctured eardrums. Indeed, the microphone is so powerful that there are sound returns with more than unpleasant feedback. Do not go beyond the middle of the strip. Moreover it is a slider which allows the adjustment, but strangely that can only be positioned at certain points on the strip, considerably reducing the possibilities of choice. In fact you only have 5 levels of adjustment. Thinking that maybe it was our "big fingers" that were causing problems, we tested with a stylus. Same observation.
- Camera speaker. Same reflection as above concerning the adjustment.
- Time zone : if you haven't done it when installing the camera, you can always come here to fix it.
- Cloud Service
- If you take a subscription it appears here.
- Basic settings :
As a reminder, you can subscribe to the free lifetime subscription for recordings accessible over the last 24 hours.
The monthly prices are for access to the flows of the last 3 days: 3.28 €, last 7 days 4.94 €, last 30 days 16.56 €.
- Video AI: paid packages for more functions.
The parameters having been carefully scrutinized, we can access the Live stream by clicking on the image.
At the top we find again the notched wheel allowing quick access from this page to the parameters.
It is on the image itself you can perform:
- The rotations. Be careful, the actions are reversed: left click to send it to the right, up to lower it etc.
- Zoom by spreading your fingers.
- Finally by tilting the smartphone in landscape mode you can have the image in full page format. In this presentation click on the small cross to make the recording tape disappear then on the image to make it reappear! Isn't that magic?
Below the image we have the function buttons:
- Loud speaker : activate or deactivate the speaker of the camera
- Magnifying glass : allows access to the calendar to search for an event
- Camera : takes a snapshot. The recording is done in a separate file. In the photo gallery of our smartphone nWe do have an imprint of the snapshot taken but without being able to visualize the snapshot.
- The clock with 30 inside. It displays up to 30 seconds on the last recording.
By clicking on the three small dots, you access new functions:
- Share : Send an email to a third party so that they can access your feed.
- Visual search :: by clicking on it, you access the daily continuous recording split by time slot, then by selecting a slot at the minute split.
- My movie : To view the videos after creation and then export them to Facebook, YouTube or by mail.
- Create video : You can make a movie from the video up to 10 min by selecting the starting date and point.
- the back arrow returns to the first part of the menu.
When a subscription is taken out, even a free one, a recording tape takes the place of the offers previously offered. Buttons for fast forward / rewind (x2, x4, x8) and return to the live stream are displayed below the image
Note the small camera which took place to the right of the stream playback buttons, it opens the page explaining the additional functions specific to the movements of the camera such as:
- Automatic rotation : the camera will make 360 ° at dizzying speed which, looking at the screen, can make you dizzy. The action is not silent. The engine being solicited, we can hear it well.
- Patrol: use the arrows to define a start and end point in the presets and the camera will oscillate from one to the other.
- Human tracing : If the function is activated, the camera will follow the moving person for 10 seconds and orient itself accordingly. It's a bit the same with the show 10 in a larger version.
- Parameters : This is where you have to come to adjust the rotation speed of the camera. Preset on intermediate speed 2, we strongly advise you to switch it to 1, first to stop feeling dizzy and also to reduce the noise of the engine. It is also in this section that you will activate the function of human tracing and the position the camera should take afterwards.
In the menus at the bottom of the page, we find: "Direct" to return to live if you are in the menu next to "Event" which is the log of detections. A click on the image and you will be able to view the 30 seconds of recording.
With Amazon Alexa
To use the camera with our favorite voice assistant, you need to install the SpotCam skill and link your account Amazon to that of the application. ask to Alexa search for the new device if it does not come up on its own. The camera appears in the list of devices. But it cannot be integrated into routines.
To manage the live streams known as:
- « Alexa watch / display camera [camera name] "
- « Alexa stop / mask to return to reception. "
It is nice to see that we can zoom in on the screen of theEcho Show 8. So, yes, there is pixelation, but this is normal because it is only a zoom on the image and not an optical or even digital zoom, but it is all the same neat to be able to do it.
With Google Home
You must also link the two accounts if this has not already been done. Click on the "+" then select " configure a device " and " works with google". In "search", type SpotCam, enter the email address and password of your account used to create the application, then enter a 4-digit pin code. Il will be useful if you ask to deactivate the camera. No routine possible with the Google Assistant.
Here is a rendering in day and night vision:
A little visual comparison between the two voice assistants on Echo Show 8 and Nest Hub:
In use, the camera is super cute, but that's not everything. The plus is being able to use a web browser. Real comfort. Unfortunately, every ten minutes you get a message asking if you want to continue (to stay live). It's a bit unpleasant, we have to admit. On the application, we also noted regular dropouts with “failed to receive video stream” messages. Maybe it was our Wi-Fi? We are however connected by optical fiber, but we have noticed an improvement by switching our PC back to Ethernet so as not to have as many dropouts on the smartphone.
Otherwise the SpotCam Eva 2 camera offers very precise settings, numerous, and even innovative compared to all the models already tested. The ability to receive alerts by email will satisfy those looking for this style of notification. the human tracing or even the "patrol" are functions that we encounter for the first time. They work very well.
On the audio side, it's not exceptional, but it's still correct. We hear a permanent sizzle which remains relatively bearable, even with the volume of smartphone fully, but you will have to adjust the level to adjust an audible level without too much crackling, or mute the microphone and activate it only if necessary.
In terms of video quality, prefer HD resolution if possible and high quality. If we can see the difference a lot on PC, on smartphone this problem is much less visible and it must be recognized that this is how the visualization will be done most often. It is therefore a problem to be put into perspective. As with many cameras, we also see a slight Fish Eye effect.
Regarding voice assistants, the SpotCam Eva 2 is well recognized by the two voice assistants. The display quality is very good here and it is possible to zoom with Echo Show. Practice ! With Google Home, we note the additional possibility of being able to activate or not the camera, which is very good.
Proposed at price of 39 € only on Amazon. Fr, the SpotCam Eva 2 is very good value for money with new functions and a free cloud for storage, and that's great.